Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cake! Everybody loves cake!

As many of you know I've started my own business recently. I've created a maternity conceirge service for naturally-minded parents. Those that question the "must-haves" that big-box baby stores tell you "need" for having a baby,  parents that want to be a little more green and eco-friendly but don't really know where to start. Sure, you've heard of a doula, but what do they do? What's a midwife? What's a birthing center? How can I successfully breastfeed? The internet can be an intimidating place for first time parents; not to mention first-time CLOTH parents. There's almost too much information out there, that it's hard to know where to start. That's where I come in.:) I'll tailor (primarily local) resources for your based on your concerns/needs and then help guide you through the unknown.

Anyway, enough about that, here's the fun part. As part of my services, I want to offer diaper cakes for baby showers. Showers inevitably bring an abundance of diapers, wipes, and cute little outfits. Why not make those reusable, and into a fun cake! Buying an entire diaper stash can be expensive, but if you register for one, and have it presented in a fun way, it becomes a great way to introduce others to modern cloth and help steer them away from bringing boxes of disposable products!

This is my quest. I'm still learning and needing to play around a little bit with different shapes and sizes, but I think I'm off to a great start! Here's my first attempt at a cloth diaper cake!



This little beaut is a great first-time cloth option for a parent planning to start cloth in the newborn stage. It contains 23 diapers total! Primarly indian cotton prefolds, but also has 4  Bumkins AIO diapers, 3 Fuzzibunz pocket diapers, a receiving blanket, a t-shirt and a onesie! Oh, and one lonley Thirsties Fab Wipe, but hey, it's just a start! I plan to tailor the cake to what is on the new parent's registry, but thought this could be a good "generic" start!

Any tips from those of you that have made your own? What would you look for in giving/receiving a cloth/green diaper cake?

8 comments:

  1. Super cute! My cousin is having her first baby and is going to use cloth - I might give this a try! Pinning for future reference, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took a little playing around with, but it came together well!

      Delete
  2. This is super cute Kristin, I think your idea is going to do great. Happy about your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the creative things you do, Kristin! The colors and patterns in the cloth diaper cake are so cute! Maybe you could add a little sample pack or two of cloth-friendly detergent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Oh, laundry detergent is a great idea! I'm planning on adding a diaper sprayer to my next one, so the detergent would be a great addition. Also, I washed and prepped all the diapers so they're ready to use. It would be a great idea to include samples of the detergent I used to keep it going! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This is amazing! Love, love it. Great idea for your service and the cakes. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy! I'll do my best to keep the blog updated with the business adventures as well :)

      Delete